Sunday, May 5, 2019

Genotyping: the gateway to the lab

Hello everyone!

My name is Sam Barron and I am a Sophomore studying biology. This is currently my first semester in the lab, and I have had a great time so far. Coming in, I did not have a very strong background in neuroscience, so I was unsure as to how well I would fit in the lab. However, I have learned so much and everyone in the lab has been very helpful. It is a great environment that anyone can be a part of and excel in.

As the new member in the lab, I have spent most of my time getting on par with genotyping our mouse colony using polymerase chain reactions (PCR). Despite being a bit repetitive, it is a great way to become acquainted to the lab and the different mouse genotypes that are used. While on the topic of PCR, I would like to direct your attention to its developer: Kary Mullis. He won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1993 for developing the technique, which changed the study of biology forever. He has also been one of the most controversial and polarizing figures in the scientific community. From denying AIDS and global warming to describing an encounter with aliens, Mullis has exhibited radical beliefs in science. His basis for these ideas stem from his belief that many scientists and corporations are motivated by money and personal success over using science to better the world. While there may be flaws in his views, it is important that we as scientists work for others and not ourselves. If you want to read more about Mullis I recommend his autobiography Dancing Naked in the Mind Field.

Outside of the lab, I am a part of the UAlbany Men’s Ultimate Frisbee team and Tri Beta Biological Honors Society. I also spend time playing the piano and volunteering at the StrattonVA Medical Center.

Being in the lab has and will provide valuable learning experiences as I look towards the future. After I graduate, I hope to go to medical school. I hope to become a neuropathologist where I can do research and help those with different neurological diseases.

Sam Barron


No comments:

Post a Comment