Sunday, April 18, 2021


Hello everyone!

My name is Danielle Saint Hilaire and I am a Senior Biology Major and Neuroscience Mnor. I joined the lab last semester (Fall 2020) and have been really enjoying it! On my first day, I learned all about what Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) is, and since then it has been my primary job in the lab, along with colony management. In my short time here in the lab, I have learned more than I thought possible in just a few months. As a new member in the lab, I got acquainted with the various mouse genotypes and the different projects being worked on; I learned quickly that determining the genotype of the mice is an imperative first step to any experiment. So I dove right in. I learned how to decide which genes to type for and I also learned how to follow the extensive protocol for preparing the samples for PCR. I found it really fascinating how I could collect the DNA samples and see it through all the way until we got the final product: the genotype. Aside from technical skills, being a member of the lab has taught me so much about how to analyze scientific literature. In our weekly lab meetings, we rotate (from PhD students, to Masters students, to Undergrads), and we all take turns choosing, dissecting, and presenting a new and cutting edge research article. When I presented my first paper, I remember having to do so much research behind the scenes of the various data collection techniques (as a newly declared Neuroscience Minor, my background in lab techniques was, let’s say, lacking). Not only dissecting these papers for myself, but hearing others from the lab contribute has been so critical in learning how to consume research papers; most papers aren’t as ‘black and white’ as they seem, if you look deep enough, you’ll find a lot of grey areas too. Another unexpected benefit of working in the lab has been overcoming my dislike of public speaking. Before joining the lab, if I was asked to present to the class or share my thoughts, I would’ve high-tailed it in the other direction. But working in the lab and discussing papers in lab meetings/presenting my work at research conferences has made all the difference. And now I actually love presenting - what a reversal! It’s great to be passionate and knowledgeable about a topic and be able to share it with others. Working in the lab has been, by far, my favorite experience at UAlbany. I’ve been able to work with a wonderful group of passionate, focused people, and have been able to learn from them throughout it all. Not only that, but I’ve also been able to contribute to a project that’s bigger than me, that will, hopefully, one day make a difference for someone living with a neurodegenerative disease or OCD.

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment