Saturday, May 7, 2022

And then came graduation time!


Hello everyone,

My name is Saad Ahmad, and I am a graduating senior at SUNY Albany. I have been an undergraduate researcher in the Scimemi Lab since freshman year in 2018. I have recently completed my honors thesis on the Circadian Modulation of Astrocyte Morphology and Synaptic Transmission. I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone in the Scimemi Lab for supporting me through my undergraduate research career, as without their help I would never have been able to complete an honors thesis. Furthermore, the Scimemi Lab has been instrumental in helping me develop skills that I would not have been proficient in with just classwork. From learning PCR in my freshman year to performing image analysis with Imaris, they have been consistently patient and encouraging despite my many mistakes. One of the most valuable lessons I have learned through my undergraduate career is to own up to my mistakes and understand why they happened. By doing this, I gained a better understanding of procedures and troubleshooting steps. The lab also frequently hosted speakers and attended seminars together so I knew if I didn’t understand something there would be others to lean on for help.

My future career goals are to attend medical school and eventually become a physician. While I prepare my application, I will be working with Dr. Jaqueline Burre and Dr. Manu Sharma at the Appel Alzheimer’s Disease Research Institute. I hope to continue to expand my interest in neuroscience and research during my gap year and hopefully carry the skills I learn over into my career as a physician.

Saad

No comments:

Post a Comment