Saturday, May 7, 2022

Corey



Hi!

I am Corey Nilon and I am about to finish my third year here at SUNY Albany. I am pursuing a Bachelor’s in biology and have minors in sociology and neuroscience. I originally joined the Scimemi lab in Fall 2020 and have happily been here for two years now! In my free time, I like to be outdoors, play sports, and travel.

In Fall 2020, I started learning polymerase chain reaction and the process of genotyping. Now, for over the last year, I have been focusing on the behavioral aspect of the EAAC1 project. With the help of others in the lab, I was able to truly organize and design my own experiment. I was  knee-deep in each part of the project- it’s planning, data collection, analysis, and conclusions. While there have certainly been many bumps in the road, I am thankful for them, as they’ve directly contributed to my learning. Overall, I would say this experience so far has been incredible. My knowledge of scientific theory, experimental design, general motor behaviors, and neuroscience have all expanded significantly. I presented my research on behavior twice this semester, first at the 19th Annual Student Conference and then at the Biology Undergraduate Symposium. This were my first experiences creating a scientific poster and presenting my research- it was awesome. Of all I’ve learnt in college, these have definitely been among the most rewarding experiences I’ve had.

Going forward, I am excited to build upon my studies by trying something new- computational neuroscience. This summer, I will be interning at the lab and I’ll be taking my first dive into astrocyte imaging/modeling and analysis through programs like Imaris. I look forward to trying something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment