Wednesday, April 17, 2019

If you cannot 3D print it, it's not fun!

Hello!

My name is Desirée and I am a senior at SUNY Albany majoring in Physics. I have been a member of the lab since Fall 2017. I have taken on the role of the lab’s Computer Aided Design (CAD) designer and 3D printing enthusiast. From PCR combs to behavioral apparatus, 3D printing has allowed us to develop tools that are useful for our specific research needs. The possibilities are endless! I have also been practicing my coding skills and learning methods of statistical analysis.

Aside from working in the lab, I was a board member for Volunteers Around the World, where I, along with 22 other aspiring health care professionals, traveled to the Dominican Republic to shadow doctors, distribute pharmaceuticals to residents of impoverished areas, and teach a hygiene class to an orphanage. I also attended Hackathons, including HackRU, HackRPI, and MedHacks at John’s Hopkins (you can find me on the MedHacks Instagram page demonstrating my prototype of a glove-donning device!). I love designing, and I have developed quite the portfolio of CAD designs, scientific illustrations, and 3D printed tools and toys (playing Overcooked and Mario Kart on the Nintendo Switch has never been more addicting since I made controller adapters).

Upon hearing about Dr. Scimemi’s lab and how its members come from many different backgrounds, I realized that neuroscience is truly multidisciplinary. It combines biology, chemistry, physics and even engineering and math in order to fully understand the most important, and puzzling, organ: the brain.

In the lab, we are expected to be independent and work autonomously, but have the amazing support from Dr. Scimemi and the other lab members. We are also given amazing opportunities to network with people in the field through the Society for Neuroscience and events not only at SUNY Albany, but other universities as well. The main takeaway is that Dr. Scimemi’s lab environment encourages risk taking and delving further into your interests for a unique development of passion and curiosity.

If you are thinking about joining the lab, remember to embrace your talents and interest and know that there is always room for you in the quest for scientific exploration!

Desirée D’Moore

Desirée is the recipient of the following award:
2018            Situation Interactive Prize for Experience Research




No comments:

Post a Comment