Monday, April 1, 2019

Learn your acronyms: Nurat introduces us to CURCE, CSTEP, UASRP and running!

Hi everyone!

My name is Nurat Affinnih and I am a junior at SUNY Albany. I have a minor in Neuroscience and will be majoring in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I have been in Dr. Scimemi’s lab for about two years now. I am extremely interested in the topics that we study in the lab, specifically neuropsychiatric disorders. This was my main reason for joining the lab. I am fascinated by mental disorders and my goals involve learning about the procedures through which these disorders occur.

I am currently working on a research project that investigates how striatal hyperactivity contributes to obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). We address this question using chemo and optogenetics approaches, which require delivering viral constructs to the striatum using stereotaxic surgeries. Being in the lab has allowed me to become a skilled micro-surgeon, which I think will be invaluable for my future career.

Research aside, I am an ambassador for the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Engage (CURCE) and a member of the Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP). CURCE works to help undergraduate students find and participate in research, scholarship, and creative activities by providing them with information, resources, and events related to their goals. If you are interested in getting involved in research, you can find out more about CURCE here! CSTEP works to increase the number of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) professions by providing students with opportunities for academic enrichment and research experience. Through CSTEP, I was able to conduct research during the summer of 2018 by participating in one of their programs, the University at Albany Summer Research Program (UASRP). If you would like to be part of CSTEP, you can find more information here!

Outside of these activities, I love to run! I am part of the UAlbany Running Exchange, a running club on campus. We are currently looking for new members. If you enjoy running, consider joining the club!

My plan after graduating is to attend medical school. Doing research in Neuroscience has become an important part of my college career, so much so that I have been motivated to pursue an MD-PhD in medical school. One day, I hope to be able to treat patients and conduct research in the Neuroscience of mental illness.

Thank you very much for your attention!

Nurat Affinnih

Nurat is the recipient of the following awards:


2020            President's Award for Leadership – Great Dane Award 
2020            Accepted to NCRC 2020 at Harvard University 
2020            Accepted to NCUR 2020 at Montana State University 
2020            CURCE Travel Award
2019            CURCE Award
2019            Initiative for Women Award
2019            Spellman Academic Achievement Award  
2019            Presidential Award for Undergraduate Research
2018            Spellman Academic Achievement Award  
2018            CSTEP Summer Research Program - SUNY Albany  
2017            Spellman Academic Achievement Award 



No comments:

Post a Comment