Monday, April 29, 2024

Adam


Hello everyone!

My name is Adam and I’m currently a junior at this university. This is my third semester in the lab and I’ve learned so much more than I expected coming into this program! When I first started, I began training in immunohistochemistry to help work on the circadian rhythm project. Within this project, I initially helped obtain data on layer-specific circadian changes in the expression and cytoskeletal organization of astrocytes. These past two semesters, I shifted gears to focus on glutamate receptor expression in two layers of the hippocampus. I really enjoy the training and procedures I’ve been taught while in this lab. Aside from learning immunostaining, brain slicing, confocal imaging, and data analysis, my favorite procedure has got to be trans-cardial perfusions, which are essentially mice brain extractions. I feel like a mini surgeon every time I perform them! Another major experience I never thought I’d be able to have was being able to create and present a poster on my project. I presented in both the Undergraduate Symposium and the UAlbany Showcase events which have been amazing experiences! Aside from this lab, I’m a part-time student on the pre-med track majoring in biochemistry and molecular biology. I’m also a part-time medical assistant at the Bone & Joint Center right across UAlbany’s campus. One thing the hands-on work in this lab has shown me is how much I would love to do surgery in the future! I’m also the current and upcoming treasurer for the Muslim Student’s Association (MSA) on this campus. When I can finally get some free time, I enjoy weightlifting, watching UFC, and playing videogames with friends. Thanks to this lab, I also recently discovered how enjoyable hiking can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment