Saturday, April 20, 2024

Working as a team

We are the PCR Team at the Scimemi Lab at UAlbany. We manage all the identification, genotyping, and breeding of the mouse colony. We mastered all these skills over the course of the Spring 2024 semester. Most importantly, we developed teamwork. Our Team consists of Victoria Fiorelli, Kathryn Casey, and Alaina Jeeson as well as our day-to-day mentor, Dr. Phillip Albrecht. 

Victoria: I feel honored to be working in Dr. Scimemi’s lab as a second-semester transfer student. I am currently a Biology Major at UAlbany. When I joined the lab, I thought I would witness research in action and contemplate the implications that follow, such as passing on learned information in the context of basic science with long-term implications on human health. My expectations were far exceeded: almost instantly I caught the neuroscience bug. Everyone within Dr. Scimemi’s lab is not only intelligent but also talented in the way they describe and orchestrate their methods within the mouse brain. I am always delighted with the buzz of activity and knowledge that fills her lab, and it has been such an inspiring atmosphere. Needless to say, I will be reading some neuroscience texts over the summer. When I am not wondering about how in the world Dr. Scimemi let me be a part of her work, I am usually found reading, training my dogs, volunteering, or out in the wilderness. 

Kathryn: Hi everyone, I’m a junior at UAlbany working in the Scimemi lab as of January 2024. I transferred to the school this past fall from Siena College and gained interest in Dr. Scimemi’s lab after taking an introductory neuroscience class. I have been able to meet like-minded peers and gain access to mentors who have really helped me develop my critical thinking, and practical skills and have provided guidance on how to tackle my journey in the world of research. Outside of the lab, you can find me at the gym, at Afrim’s playing for my Co-ed soccer league, or in line at Starbucks in the campus center for a matcha latte. 

Alaina: Hello everyone! I am a Freshman at UAlbany, the youngest member of the team. I also joined the Scimemi Lab in January 2024. Joining the lab was a completely new experience for me as I didn’t have prior familiarity with a bio laboratory, it was also a huge step out of my comfort zone. People in my team, my mentors as well as other lab members contributed greatly to my learning experience here. From knowing only theory about PCR, working in the lab has taught me about the hands-on aspect of it, greatly increasing my understanding of the process and its use in research. I developed skills like teamwork, communication, and problem-solving.

What do we do? Our main goal in the lab is to ensure that all the mice of interest in our colonies are properly genotyped. First, our team runs cage checks to ensure our mice are healthy. Second, we monitor potentially pregnant females and wean litters who are ready to be separated. To ensure we can identify pups within our litters we also use this time to give them an identification code consisting of their birth date, and unique tattoo markings on their hind and front paws. We take tissue samples from their tails and extract DNA from them. Third, we run PCR for the samples and gel electrophoresis for the analysis of specific genes. Fourth, We enter the information into a litter record to share the genotyping results with the rest of the lab.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment